Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia – The MRC Unit The Gambia at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is one of two research units established in sub- Saharan Africa by the Medical Research Council UK and is the MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM’s single largest investment in medical research in a low and middle income country. MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM represents a unique concentration of scientific expertise and high quality research platforms in the West African region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Post Doctoral Researcher I, TB Immunology
Accountability: The post holder will be accountable to the Head of Procurement and Logistics
Grade: 2, 35 Points
- The research portfolio has been organized under three themes: Disease Control & Elimination; Vaccines and Immunity; and Nutrition.
- These themes have been selected to target national health needs, to reinforce sub-regional and international links, and to address some of the major current priorities in the Millennium Global Health Goals.
- The vaccines and immunity theme hosts the tuberculosis research group, which performs a multi-disciplinary analysis of patients and their contacts across the spectrum of TB infection and disease.
- The current post seeks a highly motivated individual with excellent immunology and analytical skills for a post-doctoral position.
Purpose of the Job
- The post-holder will support all TB research projects in the TB immunology laboratory, with a particular focus on post-TB lung disease (PTLD) and early immunity to TB in the lung and blood including analysis of single-cell RNA sequencing, multi-parameter flow cytometry and luminex assays.
- The post-holder will be expected to have good knowledge of statistical analysis programs including R-statistics for analysis of complex data sets.
- The post-holder will conduct, manage and oversee laboratory or clinical research activities to support projects and studies towards meeting the study objectives whilst at the same time building a researcher development path.
- The post-holder will be evaluated to transit into post-doctoral Researcher-2 after 3 years.
- A position is available for a highly motivated Post-Doctoral Researcher to join the TB Immunology team at MRC Unit The Gambia at LSHTM.
- The post-holder will support all TB research projects with a particular focus on post-TB lung disease (PTLD) and early immunity to TB in the lung including analysis of single-cell RNA sequencing, multi-parameter flow cytometry and luminex assays.
- S/he will conduct, manage and oversee laboratory or clinical research activities to support projects and studies towards meeting the study objectives whilst at the same time building a researcher development path.
The post-holder will perform the following:
- Develop, coordinate, supervise the range of laboratory procedures and assays or clinical studies relevant to the project or proposed area of work.
- To develop project proposals linked to the project work or aligned to the themes research and/or those of external collaborators
- To develop career and mentorship plans and to actively liaise with Training and Career Development unit for opportunities to utilize researcher leadership program.
- Actively write grants for Early Career development post-doctoral fellowship.
- Train staff and oversee performance of novel laboratory procedures and assays to answer the research question in the study.
- Have a range of skills in the use of relevant data analysis software and cuttingedge laboratory technologies for answering research questions relevant to the project.
- Writing and reviewing SOPs for the conduct of laboratory work for the study.
- Supervision of junior staff towards meeting study objectives and timelines.
- Setting up systems for validation of assays and assurance of laboratory data integrity.
- Ensure work practices within the research group comply with relevant international standards of good laboratory practice (e.g. GCLP and ISO 15189).
- Co-ordination of different streams of work in support of two or more research projects.
- Undertake research activities across two or more projects providing high quality scientific expertise to support the research projects.
- Develop plans to transit into independent research career path.
- Establish best practices through organizing laboratory user training workshops and short-term training programs.
- Supporting a robust laboratory internship program that provides training at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels.
- Providing mentorship to interns
- Contributing to the Units agenda to disseminate research findings both locally and internationally through participation in Unit seminars, regional and international scientific conferences.
- Publication of research in peer-reviewed Journals.
- Managing the sub-budget for the relevant project with delegated authority of up to £1000.00.
- Travelling within the country and abroad based on work demands.
- The post holder is a full-time member of staff at the MRCG at LSHTM.
- The head of the TBI laboratory is Prof Jayne Sutherland.
- The Head of Laboratory Services is Dr Ousman Secka.
- The Chief Operating Officer is Dr. Davis Nwakanma.
- The Unit Director is Professor Umberto Dalessandro.
- Appraisals are held at least annually.
Length of appointment:
- The appointment will be for 2 years and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
- Any other duties: To perform any other duties consistent with the remit of the post.
- PhD in Immunology or related field.
- Strong skills in immunological assays including flow cytometry.
- Good knowledge of statistical programs including R-statistics for analysis of complex data sets.
- The ability to supervise staff, ensuring that high standards are maintained at all times.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Good communication skills including scientific discussion and manuscript writing.
- Experience with computer-based analyses and presentation of experimental data.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct demanding laboratory work in a productive and disciplined manner.
- Willingness to work outside working hours.
- Ability to work co-operatively in a diverse team.
Terms and Conditions
- An attractive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience required for the role will be paid.
- In addition, a generous overseas package is available including rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees and shipment of personal effects in line with displaced terms and conditions.
- The appointment will be for 2 years initially and subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
Application Closing Date
24th March, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualifed candidates should download and fill the Application Form below and send to: [email protected]
Click here to Download Application Form (MS Word)
- MRC is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.