Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D’s health portfolio leverages extensive networks and expertise to improve health and achieve equity in health outcomes for all people around the world. R4D’s global health work unlocks new possibilities for global health actors worldwide. The health portfolio support covers a wide range of activities which are identified and prioritized by the countries. These include assessing policies that can support research and development on new drugs and vaccines as well as producing on-demand research and forecasting. Other areas of support include exploring innovations in healthcare and connecting innovators to each other or to investors. R4D also supports global institutions plan their healthcare futures and the growing global movement for universal health coverage.
R4D is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Program Officer (PO) to join our Global Health Team and provide technical and program management support to multiple projects, including the Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator (HSS Accelerator). This 5-year USAID-funded project will develop a global platform to connect locally-driven health system innovations with global knowledge, accelerate countries’ journeys to self-reliant health systems, and improve the institutional architecture for evidence-based and sustainable health system strengthening. This position will support the Accelerator Activity: Improving Equity and Resilience in the Community Health Workforce, an activity focused on the financing, professionalization and support of community health workers.
This position is based in Washington, DC and will report to the Senior Project Director.
The Program Officer will be responsible for a variety of programmatic and organizational tasks that include, but not limited to:
Planning and Implementation (35%)
- Provide project management and support for the design, creation and revision of HSS activities such as trainings and supportive supervision visits.
- Develop detailed implementation plan and schedule for development of HSS activities
- Monitor implementation progress, activity budgets and make revisions as needed to meet targets and objectives
Coordination, Networking and Representation (30%)
- Anticipate potential challenges and identify proactive measures to mitigate against them
- Establish and maintain productive relationships and linkages with key stakeholders including USAID, health institutions, government officials, NGOs and private sector
- Represent R4D and the Accelerator project in meetings, workshops and events
- Work with relevant stakeholders, partners, leadership and staff in the development and implementation of HSS activities
Record Keeping and Reporting (35%)
- Ensure adequate and organized record keeping and timely, accurate and appropriate reporting of all project activities including plans, implementation progress, annual reports, and workshops
- Collaborate with the program and M&E team members to ensure appropriate monitoring and evaluation of HSS activities
- Write reports as needed or tasked including key issues, achievements, challenges and lessons learned
- Support the translation, dissemination and, use of knowledge products
- Participates fully as a member of R4D by contributing, assisting and participating in projects, activities, and initiatives as requested by management
The Program Officer must be able to function flexibly and independently and have a strong commitment to excellence and attention to detail. The ideal candidate for this position will be a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials, analytical ability, and communication and presentation skills.
- University degree in relevant professional field (public health, management, economics, political science, public policy, international affairs)
- At least 5-7 years’ relevant work experience in a research institution, government, bilateral or multilateral development agency, consulting firm, NGO, or think tank
- Experienced collaborating with partners to provide technical assistance and implement program activities
- Experience working with USAID-funding programs, including experience collaborating with USAID Headquarters and Mission offices
- Knowledge of health systems strengthening activities; knowledge of community health worker programs will be a plus
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team, and deliver high-quality results within tight timeframes
- Excellent analytical skills and comfort working with data
- Willing to and able to travel to developing countries up to 25%
- Strong preference for fluency in French