The Project Officer provides managerial and technical leadership for an HEFDC programs in Kenya. Among other tasks, the position implements the program activities in the areas of strengthening Structures for Legislation and Policy Development and Review at different administrative levels and strengthening of capacity of the different levels of Management and Coordination Structures for effective deliveries in Health Systems. POwill be responsible to ensure the program deliveries are accomplished on timely and within the allocated budgets. PO will ensure that program design, technical approaches and deliverables are of quality and consistent with the program description, institutional core competencies and technical standards. Furthermore, PO will ensure the planned program activities under the above areas are implemented to the clients’ satisfaction as well compliance to the HEFDC’s policies and the clients’ agreement/contract specifications. They will maintain “state-of-the-art” technical and managerial capability and facilitate and encourage cross-unit communication and cooperation throughout the project life cycle. The position will be accountable to HEFDC, though working under the partners’ Head of the Program.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and align the HEFDC scope’s workplan to the overall program workplan, work with the Finance and Administration Officer to schedule budget as per the workplan, and the Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer to develop and align the M&E plan to the M&E Framework for the program.
- Execute an effective governance process to ensure that all levels and areas in the program’s scope are driving to achieve program deliverables in an efficient and effective manner.
- Ensure there is good and efficient partnership established at all implementation levels for efficiency and effectiveness of the program, as well as to establish ownership.
- Ensure that key value drivers are implemented as part of the program are tracked and executed within the different activities.
- Work in consultation with the HEFDC Senior Advisors for guidance, inputs and support during the various phases of the program.
- Development and management of program budgets (internal and client facing), Lead on programme specific re-budgeting and forecasting processes.
- Work with the Finance and Administration Officer on all aspects of financial management related to the program, and contribute to the monthly management accounts, annual audit and budgeting process, and regular budgeting and re-forecasting.
- Undertake internal and external financial reporting, including invoicing and expenditure tracking and variance analysis, monitoring the expenditures and costs against delivered and realized milestones as the programs’ progress.
- Ensure programme administration, travel and logistics management are in place and operating effectively, engaging with management services.
- Act as the key facilitator to drive requirements and carveout decisions across the programs’ workstreams.
- Work with the MEL Officer to identify and implement key metrics to ensure project deliverables are achieved; and to measure success of the program
- Predict risk factors and mitigate them for successful completion of program objectives.
- In liaison with the Legal and Compliance team, support due diligence of the project officers.
- Contribute to knowledge management within HEFDC’s project component, highlighting key developments within programmes that can be communicated and shared
Expected Areas of Competence (i.e., knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Strong knowledge in project implementation process, and experience in knowledge of the health sector and international development issues, with particular knowledge in one of the following areas:
- Policy Development and Review
- Policy implementation
- Alignment of lower level legislation, policies, standards, strategic and annual work plans
- Engagement and establishment of implementation structures for effective and results-oriented engagements
- Health systems-based outcome performance monitoring and evaluation framework on strategic partnerships at different levels of implementation.
- Strong project / program implementation skillset, including scoping, execution / tracking, metrics, risk mitigation, stakeholder management, and change management
- Experience in strategic planning.
- Significant experience of working in international development at Programme Management level
- Desired substantial experience in the management and delivery of programs and contracts
- Ability to create and gain buy-in for interventions and value creation, and see through to realization
- Strong ability to communicate at the executive level with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter, can work independently or as part of a team
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to plan and manage work in a highly organized way
- Ability to work across regions, divisions and functions to influence change
- Excellent financial management skills
- Ability to resolve team conflicts.
- Exceptional teaming & collaboration both internally & externally.
Education / Certifications:
- Masters degree in a health related area: i.e., public health, health economics, international development, program management, finance, etc.)
- 5 -7 years of related experience in managing program implementation.
Provide an education and work referee.
Fluency in English and Kiswahili
How to apply
Send your application send to: [email protected]
Application Deadline – 19th May 2023