The MEL Officer assists the Country Director in orienting the strategy of the cross-cutting programmatic information management, monitoring, and evaluation of Orbis and its programs/projects in alignment with Orbis mission, goal, and strategies. The MEL Officer will spearhead and lead monitoring, research, evaluation, and learning activities. The MEL Officer works closely with the Program staff to develop and oversee the data collection and reporting process, to document and capture lessons learned as well as work with local, international partners and Orbis International. S/he will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing the existing monitoring system, developing new and innovative approaches, and establishing creative accountability mechanisms appropriate to the context. They will also lead the continuous refinement of the project’s results-based M&E System, responsive to evolving programmatic design and implementation strategies. The MEL Officer will be the primary focal person for all assessments, studies, evaluations, etc. as well as external monitoring commissioned by donors. He/she will play a key role in helping to ensure the integrity and quality of quantitative data systems along with testing innovative methods to capture qualitative data to present a full story of impact.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The MEL Officer reports to the Country Director with a technical report to the Global MEL Director or his/her designee. The position will collaborate closely with the Orbis Vietnam team, the broader Global MEL team, and other colleagues in Orbis offices around the world.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Strategic and Planning duties (15%)
- Assist the Country Director in orienting and preparing the strategy of the monitoring, evaluation, and information management of Orbis and its programs/projects.
- Prepare Orbis’s monitoring, evaluation, and learning plan (MELP) annually.
- Continuously review and revise Orbis Vietnam data management system that ensures systematic collection and analysis of program information and allows analysis of the program output against targets which are in alignment with ORBIS’ global mission, goals, and strategic plan.
M&E Duties (35%)
- Ensure appropriation of the Global MEL vision and strategy and collaborate on development of context specific MEL strategies for the Vietnam portfolio to ensure standardization and alignment to the Global MEL framework.
- Work closely with Orbis MEAL global team to develop and finalize the M&E framework (log frame) for Orbis’s projects to ensure that appropriate M&E strategies, tools, and procedures are incorporated throughout the program/project planning and implementation cycle; Support projects in developing data collection tools (quantitative and qualitative data), working with Project Managers to train partners in M&E and implementation of M&E procedures; conducting baseline data collection on new projects; leading data-driven target-setting process; conducting/overseeing special assessments; and recording project operational and M&E processes, using Orbis project- management software and offline tools.
- Lead in analyzing project and program data and information, to inform program adjustments and/or adaptations; and to produce overall learning that will inform course corrections where necessary.
- Design and implement capacity building initiatives for country staff and partner staff, and supervise the data collection process, including regular data verification exercises to ensure overall quality and accuracy.
Knowledge and Learning (40%)
- Lead background research and scoping studies including but not limited to research design, methodology, data analysis, and reporting.
- Cultivate and manage research partnership with consultants or research organizations to deliver research deliverables.
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and lesson learning of best practices within Orbis International to build an understanding of our results, impacts, and connectedness to Orbis Vietnam’s work.
- Provide technical support and builds capacity of local partners in monitoring and evaluating for the sustainability of the project result.
- Improve MEL capacity of project staff to ensure programme quality.
- Update the partners, and relevant stakeholders on required and minimum MEL process, standard and systems.
- Assist in documentation and dissemination of case studies and key lessons learnt to the project and the other stakeholders.
- Organize internal learning workshops and prepare learning materials.
- Coordinate/develop the research and learning products for internal and external dissemination (e.g., research reports, briefs, presentations, articles, etc.).
- Carry out the project’s reporting task for donors and reporting duties for internal management purpose.
- Manage Orbis’s database as an accessible source of information on Orbis’s programs/projects, results (to the extent possible) and impact, and ensure ethical data safety and protection.
Other duties (10%)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Vietnamese citizen.
- A minimum of 3 years’ work experience of monitoring, learning and evaluation in public health. research, statistical analysis etc. experience or minimum of 3 years Community Development / Development Sector experience.
- Master’s degree in a pertinent field (statistics, epidemiology, public health, development and management, or another related field)
- Knowledge of office systems, including experience with computer applications and statistical software (e.g. Access, Word, Excel, E-mail, SPSS/STATA, database management).
- Have demonstrated an ability to develop analysis plans for survey data and analyze survey and monitoring data to support programmatic decision making’.
- Experience working with local partners to facilitate data collection and build local organizational capacity in M&E. Experience in quantitative and qualitative research, sampling methodology and data analysis is desirable.
- Have clear understanding of and experience with M&E framework, tools, process, sampling, data collection frequencies and data sources monitoring, and evaluation of programs related to public health.
- Established track record of achieving results within difficult working environments is required, e.g. ability to multi-task and work under pressure and tight deadlines and with a team of colleagues;
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Possess good analytical and report writing skills with proven command of English and Vietnamese.
- Knowledge on development of quantitative data collection methods and analysis skills
- High level computer skills including various MS applications such as MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel, including the use of formulae and data analysis functions & macro.
- Data handling skills (classification, categorizing, tabulation etc.)
- Knowledge with statistical analysis using SPSS.
- Willingness to make regular travel to project sites.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Familiarity with electronic data collection methods.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Experience using the DHIS2 information system will be a plus.